July 31, 2009

Two Spoonfuls: Wilton II

I'm not going to pass on any great and helpful information this week, I'm just going to tell you some more about my cake decorating odyssey. I just finished Wilton Cake Decorating Course II! Yay! Bring on the fondant! haha

During course II we spent a lot of time making various flowers for our final cake. Remember my last Two Spoonfuls post about Royal Icing? We also learned how to do a basket weave pattern. (I confess, I've learned this before and I prefer the previous method. But hey, whatever works, right?)


Here's how it starts. Lots of marks and toothpicks go into a basket weave. It's actually pretty easy, just very time consuming!


After the basket weave, I added a rope border. The best part about borders is that they cover up the ugly, messy edges of the cake. Nice!


Next comes the fun part. We started by placing the bluebirds and a few of the bigger flowers. From there it's just pure fun. I have a tendency to make my colors very pale. My classmates' cakes were much bolder.


I think I should have made more than one orange flower, but it works.



Here's the final cake in all it's glory. Now we need to eat it! Anyone want to stop by for a little cake & frosting? Maybe we'll use it to celebrate the break in the heat wave we've been having this week. Blech!

Next week I get a break and then I start Course III. We'll be delving into the world of fondant. I'm told that if you make your own, with marshmallows, it actually can taste good. I'll let you know.

______________________________________________________________

How about a little more cake fun? Here are some links to some great cake related sites:

Wilton (of course)

Layer Cake Shop - Really fun cake decorating supplies on Etsy
Joy of Baking - Recipes
Cake Decorating 101 - A cool Flickr group with lots of photos
How to Eat a Cupcake - A cupcake Blog!!

Let's see if Jenn's got something to serve with my cake...

6 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

Beautiful!

Christina J. said...

What a cute cake. Great job! Love the little bird. :)

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Wow Ginny---that is really pretty!! You are a star pupil!

Say, when I was garage saling recently I found a vintage (sometime in the 70's) Wilton decorating book, it was only 50 cents so I grabbed it thinking that you might want it?? I was going to send it to you as a surprise, but then realized that all I have is your old address. If you are interested, just Etsy convo me your address and I'll send it along :o)

Smiles, Karen

LizzieJane said...

What a wondeful cake, it looks to pretty to eat!
x

Suzanne@NotesfromthePatch said...

Great job. Don't forget this classic cake site http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

Junie Moon said...

Your cake looks great! I took the Wilton I class and am now waiting for the Wilton II class to start this month. At first I wasn't sure whether these classes would be be something I'd use in my house. Well, I'm pleasantly surprised as to the the fun it's all brought me and I'm baking more cakes than ever as a result.