November 21, 2008

Two Spoonfuls - Pumpkin Season II

One day, Ginny said to Jenn: "Let's do a cooking blog post." A flurry of emails later, Two Spoonfuls was born!

We are two creative gals who became friends through our mutual love of fabric and sewing. Now, we're bringing our energy and style into the kitchen, trying new recipes, re-vamping old favorites and sharing them with you.

We'll use familiar ingredients to create dishes that are flavorful and easy to prepare, while adding our own helpful tips, bits of kitchen wisdom, and a little food history too. The recipes we share will be practical, with easy gourmet touches.

Look for Two Spoonfuls recipe recommendations: always in time for a weekend, to share with your family and friends.
___________________________________________________________________

This week I made
Libby's® Pumpkin Roll from VeryBestBaking.com. For the full recipe, click here. I've always been intrigued by these fun looking swirled desserts, and a little intimidated too. It was actually really easy to make. The ingredients are pretty simple: Powdered Sugar Flour Baking Powder Baking Soda Ground Cinnamon Ground Cloves Salt Eggs Granulated Sugar Canned Pumpkin Walnuts (if you like) Butter Cream Cheese I know, it's kind of a long list, but they're all really basic things that you probably have on hand. The only thing I had to purchase special was the cream cheese, oh, and the pan. You'll need a 10x15" Jelly-Roll Pan to make this cake. A Jelly-Roll Pan is basically a cookie sheet with sides.

Jelly-Roll pans can also be used to roast meat, so they're pretty handy. I bought two sizes.


When you get to the rolling stage, make sure you roll it in a non-loopy kitchen towel. No terrycloth.


You only need 2/3 cup pumpkin, so you'll have a bunch left over. This morning I added some to my pancake batter and made pumpkin pancakes. mmmm


The final cake made about 15 1/2" slices.

__________________________________________________________________

Ginny's Notes:

1. Be sure to read through the directions before you get started. You need to grease the pan, lay wax paper over it and then grease (and flour) again. If I hadn't watched this video, I'd have likely messed that up and had a sticky mess on my hands.

2. The cake is very sticky. When I tested it for doneness, I couldn't be sure because of this. I followed the directions and checked after 11 minutes. I could have taken it out at that point but gave it another minute or so. I think it was a little bit overcooked.

3. The cake itself doesn't have a very strong flavor. If I make it again, I'll add some ginger or maybe a little pumpkin pie spice sprinkled on top.

4. The amount of filling in the picture had me worried, so I spread mine quite thin and discarded about 1/3 cup. I think it was just the right amount in the end.

5. Don't be stingy with the powdered sugar! It will save your life and keep things from sticking.
____________________________________________________________________

This was a great pumpkin recipe and I can feel good about at least part of it being good for me! Pumpkin is a great source of vitamins and nutrients. It's low in fat and calories & can even be used in place of oil in some cake mix recipes.

Check out NutritionData.com for more information on raw pumpkin and everything else you can think of. What a great website.

Now, let's check out what Jenn made with Pumpkin this week. (I think I know what I'm baking for Thanksgiving)

6 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

Jelly roll pans are great! Those are the only kind I have - I use them for everything.
Thanks for the links! : )

Christina J. said...

My cousin made something very similar to this one year for Thanksgiving. I think I am going to ask her to make it again. Unless you want to come to Thanksgiving with yours...

:)

PAC said...

mmmmmmmmmm...looks DELISH!!

LiPeony said...

that looks indeed yummy! I like how you include your own experiences such as the too much filling or adding in some extra spice to the cake... very informative!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Mmmm--looks fantastic! I love this idea you two crazy gals have dreamt up and look forward to your "two spoonful" posts!
Smiles, Karen

Unknown said...

Now that looks great! I'm going to try that this week! Thanks!