October 01, 2010

The Never Ending Diaper Bag

Perhaps I shouldn't say "never ending" or I wouldn't be writing this post. Let's just say it took me a while to get the darn thing made, but here it is:

Of course I made my own diaper bag, I mean, c'mon! haha
It's a version of a design I sell in my shop, altered to suit my (assumed) purpose. I don't make a lot of these because they take for-ever! I mean it. There are so many pieces to this thing. I must have spent the last month making this bag but I'm super happy with the result.


I started with these 2 laminated cottons from Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane collection. I saw them in person and I loved the weight. For laminated fabric, it's really drapey and lightweight. I got about half a yard of each of these and added a yard of the leaf print later when I saw it on sale at a local store. It's a good thing too because I used almost every last inch of fabric.

Doing the math and cutting layout on this bag was really hard and I was so worried I wouldn't like it in the end. I had originally planned for the whole outside to be striped so it wouldn't look too girly (for Nick's sake). Obviously that plan went right out the window because of a lack of yardage.

 I wanted it to have short handles so I could carry it off my shoulder (my back doesn't like uneven distribution of weight, you won't see me with a baby sling), so the shoulder strap can be removed as needed. There's also a magnetic flap to close the top of the bag. When it's empty, the flap seems way too long, but I'm sure it'll be perfect once the bag is packed with gear.


Each end of the bag has a pocket with elastic at the top. I also used some super strong magnetic snaps to tuck the ends together, I just like the way it looks. The d-ring is where the shoulder strap attaches.


 And here's the inside. All of the pockets are lined with PUL, so everything is waterproof and/or wipe-able. I already had the PUL to make some cloth diapers, so it was an easy choice. There's a big slip pocket on the back side too, I hope this is enough pockets! I included a couple of places to hook onto as well. One side has a small ring to clamp to and the other is a clip. Don't want to lose any important toys!


If you were wondering what those extra stripey bits were, they're another set of strong magnetic straps that attach the diaper bag to the lower part of my stroller. It just seemed like a good idea to hang it from that bar that goes across. The straps snap down inside the interior pockets if we're not using them. (It's a Baby Jogger City Select, in case you're wondering. I'll probably tell you more about the stroller once I start using it. We got this one because it easily converts to a double and I hope to have another baby as soon as I can.)

So there you have it, way more information than you ever wanted about my diaper bag. :D The laminated cotton was intimidating, but easy to work with. I did use a leather needle to sew it, those layers can get pretty thick. There's also a layer of fleece behind both the main bag fabric and the lining to give it some stiffness along with a hard, removable base to help keep the shape.
 


Now, bring on the baby! I'm so ready to meet her and my back is just getting worse by the day. I'm hoping to will myself into labor this weekend since my doctor's on call and I'm technically full-term. 37 weeks and 5 days (2cm dilated). I always thought I'd get HUGE when pregnant, but my body has proven me wrong. Thank you, body. Now, please start wiggling your fingers or praying or whatever you do so that I'll go into labor!

8 comments:

Christina J. said...

Wow! That is an awesome diaper bag! I'm thinking of you and sending you labor mojo! :)

Alexis said...

Your bag is amazing! Hoping you'll be using for your daughter ASAP!

LeeAnn said...

That HB fabric collection is one of my more recent favorites. The bag looks great! I know what you mean about those bags taking forever to make. My very good friend requested a diaper bag and she wants lots of pockets. All those little pieces of fabric to cut and interface! Can't wait to do all that! Ha! I hope you get to meet your little bundle this weekend too!

Delena said...

Super cute stuff. Can't wait to see some pics of that baby using it. :)

Trisha said...

Awesome bag, Ginny! I hope you go into labor this weekend. I can't wait to meet her too!

Esther said...

I love the changing bag, you clever stick! Don't wish the labour on too quickly, once you are there you will soon wish you weren't! Both my girls were late - my first 11 days with an induced labour and the second 5 days late with a spontanious labour. The weight gain also happens right at the end too! A glass of red wine the night before brought on my labour! Good luck!

Nutsy Coco said...

The bag looks great and sending lots of labor wishes your way!

mtnchild said...

OK Ginny, I'm wiggling my fingers for you!

Little Lady don't be late
Mom and Dad can hardly wait.
All the friends along the way
Are looking forward to the day.

Come hither here and greet the sun
to see the lovely Dad and Mum
That you have drawn.
Come hither here and greet the dawn.

Lots of love and hugs being sent your way.
Yvette