March 08, 2007

Liberty of London

Yesterday I took a trip into London to visit my favorite shop, Liberty. It can be incredibly expensive, but also a beautiful place to look around. The company has been in business for something like 130 years and is apparently famous here in England. I'd never heard of it until I came to England to stay, but it's a great place to check out if you're ever in London. I'm not going to go into a lengthy review of the store, I'm just not that good. Let me just say that it's about 5 or 6 stories high, and in a very impressive and old timber framed building. Just what you'd expect as an American in England, it's gorgeous, inside and out. They have everything too, clothing, handbags & scarves, lots of very fine stationery items, rugs, furniture and the best part...yarn and fabric! Hooray!


This brings me to the reason I went to "Liberty's" yesterday. I have one of those frequent shopper cards for the store, like I ever buy anything, ha, and they were having a sale on everything. 15% off EVERYTHING. I get these postcards all the time about sales, and this is the first time I've been in town for one. So I hopped on the train in Colchester & headed to London to check it out.

Whenever I go to Liberty, I tend to want nearly everything in the fabric department, but am never willing to pay the minimum £19.95 per metre to get anything (that's $38.60 to us poor Americans - ouch). Hey, a metre is like 3 extra inches though. But since I am spending £'s and not $'s, and everything's on sale - it was ever so slightly easier to convince myself to get something this time. And I mean, ever so slightly, it's only 15% off. I feel really guilty buying things too, but I forced myself to get something as I will only be here another month or so.

"Cut to the chase Kippi", you say. Right, so here's what I got...
I only got a half metre of each, and I'll have to charge a fortune for anything I make from these, but aren't they special? You should feel this fabric. It's cotton that feels like silk, amazing. They sell shirts made from this fabrics, but they're £75.00 That's a bit steep for an incredibly frumpy looking button-down. I'll just sit here & be happy I came home with a tiny purple bag from my favorite store.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

OoO, I love them. Especially the one on the lower left. It's so nice when cotton feels nice and not coarse, that in itself is worth extra!

Jenn Maruska said...

Gorgeous!

suchprettycolors said...

beautiful! they are a treat!

Serpent Mandalas said...

gorgeous gorgeous fabrics!!