July 15, 2014
I picked this book up not too long ago and decided that I'd actually make something from it! That's a rarity for me. I love pattern books, I never use them (except maybe the knitting ones).
I went for the "Springtime Top" because I already had some fabric that was perfect and hadn't been allocated yet. It's a cute top, perfect for summer or as a jumper with a shirt.
Based on the measurements given in the book, I went with a size 4T. My daughter's measurements were an inch smaller than the chest size given. And just in case I decide to make it again in another size, I used my trusty carbon tracing paper (it's so old-school) to transfer the pattern onto my fabric.
I like this pattern because it only has 4 pieces. If you don't have a lot of free sewing time (in my case, non-Etsy related), 4 pieces is great. I was able to whip this top up in an afternoon while Pickles was at preschool.
It turned out ridiculously cute, even without the rickrack, I didn't have enough of the color I wanted.
I used white elastic for the button loop instead of fabric. I really despise turning tiny bits of fabric. It worked great.
Pickles called it her "new pretty dress" when she put it on. Then about 2 minutes later she wanted it off because it was too tight below the arms. Figures. I know I have a barrel chested kid...I know. I thought that I was rounding up on the size, but it turns out, I wasn't. I have to say, this book wasn't overly clear on sizing. I looked though the front sections to see what it had to say, but didn't find anything. Lesson learned, again. Make a size bigger than the size you think is bigger.
So, I made another one. Again, no purchase necessary.
Here it is in action, with some shorts I made from this pattern.
I made the second one in a size 5 with smaller seam allowances. She'll wear it this summer and that's about it. By the way, she's laughing in this picture, and very hot.
July 03, 2014
Hey, it's me again. Are you impressed that I didn't wait a year to post this time? It's not a major post, but it's something.
I wanted to tell you a little bit about my sewing machine. It's a PFAFF something or other. The point is, I can't see the guidelines & numbers they put on the machine. I have been thinking for ages that I need to print out a little ruler to stick on the machine so I can see better. Well, I finally did it! Yay for me.
Cream marks on a cream background. Very helpful indeed.
Here's what I have now...so much better.
Ahh, I don't even feel like I'm blind anymore. Hooray!
Posted by iSew at 7/03/2014 07:09:00 PM
May 29, 2014
I just realized I haven't posted since last June. June! That's like a whole year ago. ugh. I've definitely been getting those thoughts again. Those, "I should blog about that", thoughts. Really.
I'm still knitting....
and being a Mom. She's 3 1/2!
What I really need is some human contact. So if anyone is still out there I'm going to try really hard to write some posts so I can just know you're there. :)
Just note: Most of my time is taken up by a small human, so bear with my if all I can talk about is this kind of thing...
Hey, it's a craft!
Posted by iSew at 5/29/2014 09:29:00 PM
June 24, 2013
This is what I've had floating around in my head the last few months (yes, I said months!).
I wanted to make a weekly calendar to help Mimi understand the days of the week as well as help her know what's happening each day, and this is how it turned out.
I wanted each day to be a different color, so I chose 7 colors of flannel for each day's background. I had these in my stash, I guess that sort of tells you how much sewing I do (and how much fabric I have).
I used my cool, cool Silhouette Cameo to cut out the lettering. I love that machine, by the way. I am not a scrapbooker, but I use it for so many things.
I ironed the lettering to the backgrounds. I have to tell you, picking the right colors for the lettering was really difficult. You just don't know if you'll be able to read them until they're on the fabric. I redid most of the days at least 1 or 2 times until I was satisfied.
Next, I sewed them all together and chose a border and background (also from my stash). I used flannel on the back so we could flip the calendar over and use it as a big felt board too.
I made the little activity pieces using iron-on transfer paper for my printer and some cool images I found mostly online. I added the lettering myself. I just ironed the images onto white felt and cut out the shapes, easy.
I sewed some pieces of rick-rack into the top so I could hang our calendar on a dowel. Mimi still hasn't seen it, but I think she'll be pretty excited. Right now it's out of her reach, but at some point I'll find a place to put it where she can access it better.