July 15, 2014

Springtime Top from Little One-Yard Wonders

  I picked this book up not too long ago and decided that I'd actually make something from it! That's a rarity for me. I love pattern books, I never use them (except maybe the knitting ones).



 I went for the "Springtime Top" because I already had some fabric that was perfect and hadn't been allocated yet. It's a cute top, perfect for summer or as a jumper with a shirt.



Based on the measurements given in the book, I went with a size 4T. My daughter's measurements were an inch smaller than the chest size given. And just in case I decide to make it again in another size, I used my trusty carbon tracing paper (it's so old-school) to transfer the pattern onto my fabric.



I like this pattern because it only has 4 pieces. If you don't have a lot of free sewing time (in my case, non-Etsy related), 4 pieces is great. I was able to whip this top up in an afternoon while Pickles was at preschool.



It turned out ridiculously cute, even without the rickrack, I didn't have enough of the color I wanted.



I used white elastic for the button loop instead of fabric. I really despise turning tiny bits of fabric. It worked great.



Pickles called it her "new pretty dress" when she put it on. Then about 2 minutes later she wanted it off because it was too tight below the arms. Figures. I know I have a barrel chested kid...I know. I thought that I was rounding up on the size, but it turns out, I wasn't. I have to say, this book wasn't overly clear on sizing. I looked though the front sections to see what it had to say, but didn't find anything. Lesson learned, again. Make a size bigger than the size you think is bigger.


So, I made another one. Again, no purchase necessary.

Also cute.


Here it is in action, with some shorts I made from this pattern.
I made the second one in a size 5 with smaller seam allowances. She'll wear it this summer and that's about it.  By the way, she's laughing in this picture, and very hot.

2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

That turned out great! I love both versions.

Anonymous said...

So cute! What are you going to do with the one that's too small?