December 05, 2008

Two Spoonfuls: Little Bites

This week Jenn and I are going to make some little bites! It's party season, so what could be better than a few yummy appetizers? Now, let's get started...

My recipe came from one of those great little check stand cookbooks. I'm a huge fan of these little magazine style books, I've got a ton of them. It just so happens that our friends at Pillsbury® have just released this one, Holiday Appetizers. Perfect timing, eh?

Mini Bacon-Cheese Cups
~ 1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz. box), softened as directed on box
~ 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
~ 1 whole egg
~ 1 egg yolk
~ 1/4 cup chopped green onions (4 medium)
~ 3 oz. shredded Swiss cheese (about 2/3 cup)
~ 8 slices precooked bacon, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
~ Additional finely chopped green onions, if desired

1. Heat oven to 425ºF. Spray 16 mini muffin cups with cooking spray. Unroll pie crust on work surface. Using 2½-inch round cutter, cut 16 rounds from crust; discard remaining crust. Place 1 crust round in each muffin cup, pressing down gently to form cup.

2. In blender or food processor, blend or process cream cheese, whole egg, egg yolk and 1/4 cup onions until almost smooth. Divide mixture evenly among crust-lined muffin cups (about 2 tsp. each). Top each evenly with Swiss cheese and bacon.

3. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove cups from pan. Garnish each with additional onions.

If you ask me, you can't go wrong with green onions, cream cheese and bacon. I used only about a third of the bacon called for in the recipe. I put it back in the fridge to use for salads & such later.

I don't have one of those cool sets of circular cutters (it's on my Christmas list though), so I found a juice glass that was just the right size. It worked great!

I filled my little crust cups to the brim. They really puffed up in the oven, but relaxed after cooling a bit. haha They came out of the pan very easily. I just poked the sides with a knife and they jump right up.

I ended up with 15 pieces. I think it's because of the way I cut into the dough. I got a little excited at one point and cut in the wrong spot on the dough. (oops) I sprinkled chives on top because I had some in the fridge already. I just thought they'd look nice because they're so petite.

Ginny's Notes:
~ This recipe was really easy to make and delicious too. I mean it! I made 15 on Wednesday, and by lunch time Thursday, Nick and I finished them off. Yummmm!!!

~ I couldn't find a 3oz. package of cream cheese so I cut into an 8oz. package instead. Did you know cream cheese is marked like butter? It's got lines on the wrapper to mark off the ounces. Very handy!

~ I used prepackaged bacon slices, but the packaged real bacon pieces, like this one, would work just as well. This is a regular pantry item at my house. I love to be able to toss some bacon on pasta or over a salad.

~ I also substituted a grated cheese blend for the Swiss cheese. I only did this because it's what I had on hand. I'm guessing that the Swiss cheese called for in the recipe would add more flavor, but I decided to take the easy way out. I didn't miss anything by not using Swiss. ___________________________________________________________________

I had planned to make a second recipe from Holiday Appetizers, Pizza Pinwheels (this recipe's available online). Unfortunately, I discovered late last night that I didn't have a can of crescent rolls in the fridge, it was a can of pizza dough. Maybe you can give them a try and let me know how they turn out.

For some great recipes and a little fun too, check out some of these sites...

~ Pillsbury® Lots of recipes, coupons and the Doughboy, of course. He's got his own place.

~ I've spent a lot of time on this site, there are soo many recipes to try.

~ PHILADELPHIA All cream cheese, all the time.

Now, I'd like to go see what Jenn's been cooking. I'm sure she's got something special in store for us this week.


Jenn Maruska said...

What a fun post! Those little cups look delicious - yummers! : )

Christina said...

They look so good! Anything with bacon is yummy.

~wenhether~ said...

Mmmm...dont let my husband see these things or I will have to make them tonight! LOL

LizzieJane said...

These look delicious, I don't think they will stay long in our house, thanks.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Mmmm--those sound like something that would go over BIG around here! I am so enjoying your recipe days!
Smiles, Karen

Justina said...

These sound delicious and so easy! We're having a party food recipe contest and would love to have you enter one of your favorite recipes. The prize is a $400 gift certificate. Check out the contest at our blog: