December 05, 2008

Two Spoonfuls: Little Bites

This week Jenn and I are going to make some little bites! It's party season, so what could be better than a few yummy appetizers? Now, let's get started...


My recipe came from one of those great little check stand cookbooks. I'm a huge fan of these little magazine style books, I've got a ton of them. It just so happens that our friends at Pillsbury® have just released this one, Holiday Appetizers. Perfect timing, eh?

Mini Bacon-Cheese Cups
~ 1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz. box), softened as directed on box
~ 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
~ 1 whole egg
~ 1 egg yolk
~ 1/4 cup chopped green onions (4 medium)
~ 3 oz. shredded Swiss cheese (about 2/3 cup)
~ 8 slices precooked bacon, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
~ Additional finely chopped green onions, if desired

1. Heat oven to 425ºF. Spray 16 mini muffin cups with cooking spray. Unroll pie crust on work surface. Using 2½-inch round cutter, cut 16 rounds from crust; discard remaining crust. Place 1 crust round in each muffin cup, pressing down gently to form cup.

2. In blender or food processor, blend or process cream cheese, whole egg, egg yolk and 1/4 cup onions until almost smooth. Divide mixture evenly among crust-lined muffin cups (about 2 tsp. each). Top each evenly with Swiss cheese and bacon.

3. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove cups from pan. Garnish each with additional onions.


If you ask me, you can't go wrong with green onions, cream cheese and bacon. I used only about a third of the bacon called for in the recipe. I put it back in the fridge to use for salads & such later.


I don't have one of those cool sets of circular cutters (it's on my Christmas list though), so I found a juice glass that was just the right size. It worked great!


I filled my little crust cups to the brim. They really puffed up in the oven, but relaxed after cooling a bit. haha They came out of the pan very easily. I just poked the sides with a knife and they jump right up.


I ended up with 15 pieces. I think it's because of the way I cut into the dough. I got a little excited at one point and cut in the wrong spot on the dough. (oops) I sprinkled chives on top because I had some in the fridge already. I just thought they'd look nice because they're so petite.
__________________________________________________________________

Ginny's Notes:
~ This recipe was really easy to make and delicious too. I mean it! I made 15 on Wednesday, and by lunch time Thursday, Nick and I finished them off. Yummmm!!!

~ I couldn't find a 3oz. package of cream cheese so I cut into an 8oz. package instead. Did you know cream cheese is marked like butter? It's got lines on the wrapper to mark off the ounces. Very handy!

~ I used prepackaged bacon slices, but the packaged real bacon pieces, like this one, would work just as well. This is a regular pantry item at my house. I love to be able to toss some bacon on pasta or over a salad.

~ I also substituted a grated cheese blend for the Swiss cheese. I only did this because it's what I had on hand. I'm guessing that the Swiss cheese called for in the recipe would add more flavor, but I decided to take the easy way out. I didn't miss anything by not using Swiss. ___________________________________________________________________

I had planned to make a second recipe from Holiday Appetizers, Pizza Pinwheels (this recipe's available online). Unfortunately, I discovered late last night that I didn't have a can of crescent rolls in the fridge, it was a can of pizza dough. Maybe you can give them a try and let me know how they turn out.


For some great recipes and a little fun too, check out some of these sites...

~ Pillsbury® Lots of recipes, coupons and the Doughboy, of course. He's got his own place.

~ KraftFoods.com I've spent a lot of time on this site, there are soo many recipes to try.

~ PHILADELPHIA All cream cheese, all the time.


Now, I'd like to go see what Jenn's been cooking. I'm sure she's got something special in store for us this week.

6 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

What a fun post! Those little cups look delicious - yummers! : )

Christina J. said...

They look so good! Anything with bacon is yummy.

Heather said...

Mmmm...dont let my husband see these things or I will have to make them tonight! LOL

LizzieJane said...

These look delicious, I don't think they will stay long in our house, thanks.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Mmmm--those sound like something that would go over BIG around here! I am so enjoying your recipe days!
Smiles, Karen

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious and so easy! We're having a party food recipe contest and would love to have you enter one of your favorite recipes. The prize is a $400 MarxFoods.com gift certificate. Check out the contest at our blog: http://marxfood.com/