September 19, 2007

Cupcakes & Bridal Registries

First off, let me say thanks for all the "Happy Birthday"s I got yesterday. I don't like getting older, but I do like the way you feel a little special for a day. Know what I mean? It's always a bit sad going to bed on your birthday because you know you'll just be a regular person again the next day, lol. Anyway, I had a great birthday yesterday.
I told you all that I was planning a trip into San Francisco. After a little ferry drama, I made it across the bay. It's a lovely ride when the fog is away. I did some research before I left to find a good cupcake source, and was lucky enough to find one in the ferry terminal building. The shop is called Miette. They've got a great website with really sweet graphics, so I was convinced. I did actually read some reviews before making my choice, it wasn't entirely based on graphics and location. I decided on a chocolate cupcake with vanilla butter cream. Now, I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but it was the only way to get the vanilla butter cream, and that's what I was really after. All the other cupcakes had some sort of fruit mixed in or something, and I'm a plain Jane. I carried that cupcake around for several hours before actually tasting it. The anticipation building, I finally decided to give it a go. In the end, the packaging was better than the cake. I know, sad. The cupcake itself was waaaaay to chocolatey & squishy, almost like it was undercooked. The butter cream had no flavor whatsoever. I was crushed. I kept taking more bites with lots of frosting to see if I was wrong, but I wasn't. It was a complete bust. Ah well.
I did have a great day, to spite the cupcake. I don't want to bore you with details, but I ended up registering for the wedding at Macy's & Williams Sonoma. I had a lot more fun at Williams Sonoma. I don't need all that stuff that a bride normally registers for, I'm old, I've already got it all. I enjoyed picking cookbooks and fun bakeware like this and this. We'll see how it goes. The Macy's registry may get forgotten. Sorry Martha Stewart.

5 comments:

Sugarloaf said...

happy (belated) birthday!! Good to hear you had a great day!
(oh, today is my hubby's birthday.)

Jenn Maruska said...

Oh dear! I am crushed that your birthday cupcake was a bust. : ( Oh... I just want to give you a hug!

Have I ever mentioned that there's a fantastic cupcake shop within walking distance of my house?

I'm not making that up:
http://www.cupcakeroyale.com/

I'm pretty certain I saw one there that had your name on it....

; )

Nutsy Coco said...

Isn't it always the way when you get all excited about something like a fantastic cupcake, that it's a letdown? Good thing for those unexpected pleasures that balance them out :)

Anonymous said...

What a shame about the cupcake but I am so glad the rest of your day was so lovely. What fun to register for your wedding--that's so exciting, isn't it?

Nora said...

Sorry about the cupcake what a bust! How about registering at Sur la Table? I live in the east bay near walnut creek I'll bet we have better cupcakes through the tunnel!