February 14, 2007

What's a Blog?

"You need a blog". That's what I keep reading in all my books about having an online business. Well, here it is. I don't really have any issues with blogs, I just don't think I have a lot to say. And I hate writing, I'm terrible at it. I guess it's a good way to promote my business, which I need to do badly. I don't know how it works (and probably sound like a real dork right now) but away I go.


The deal is, I have an online business selling my hand sewn stuff. I make
handbags, diaper bags, etc., etc. - iSew...get it? Anyway, I launched my site in November and now I'm just doing all the things you do to get it noticed. I get a fair amount of traffic, but not that much. No one knows I'm there.

My next step into marketing my site is to try getting into some craft shows. Aside from the natural downside of grannies in puff paint sweatshirts, it can be pretty expensive to get into the good ones. However, you have a captive audience that is there to buy. I've been to these things and there are packs of ladies walking out with crafty stuff hanging from their bodies. They bring their husbands just to carry the bags. There seems to be a definite opportunity there. I also think people are more likely to buy a higher priced item from some stranger if they can actually see it in person. I don't blame them.

I guess I plan to use my blog as a way to put my ideas down in writing somewhere. Sort of like when you talk to yourself, it just seems to stick better. I hope it works. Ha Ha
More later,
Kippi

No comments: