April 05, 2010

Easter Baking

I started this post on Friday but we lost power in the middle of it! Here we go again...

Sticking with my "using a holiday as an excuse to make cupcakes" plan, I made cupcakes! haha This time I made 3 batches to be sure I had a chance to taste them myself.

 I decided to make lighter carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I used this recipe.

I started with some Easter cupcake liners I already had in my stash. This was my first time making carrot cake of any kind, I think.


I used my food processor to shred the carrots. I did it in batches and it worked fine. They were very small bits though.


Here's what 3 batches looked like. The recipe said it would make 10 cupcakes, but I got 13-14 from each batch.


I tasted one of the cupcakes before I put batch two in the oven. I didn't want to overdo it if they were terrible, haha. They're pretty good, but you definitely need the frosting. These aren't even slightly sweet.

Next I whipped up 2 batches of cream cheese frosting (that came with the cupcake recipe). That was enough to spread about 35 cupcakes.

Nick loves Cadbury Mini Eggs, so I put 3 on top of each cuppie. That was about 1.5 small bags of eggs. After about a day, the moisture from the frosting caused the candy coating on the eggs to basically slide off. It wasn't pretty. Thankfully, most of these were eaten by Nick's coworkers before the tragedy took place.


The cream cheese frosting spread on really smooth, then I poked it with my knife to make it look a bit more like grass. I think they turned out pretty good. And happily, I still have a couple in the fridge! Happy Belated Easter :)


5 comments:

Christina J. said...

We've polished off a bag of Cadbury chocolate eggs. Love them! Your cupcakes look delicious.

Trisha said...

I am going to avert my eyes because they look so delicious! :)

mtnchild said...

Sooo yummy looking!! I'm now at the point that I've had enough sweets to last me til Halloween!!!

LaVonne said...

These look great! You should post the recipe. Visting from Etsy. Found your shop by searching my local area. Everything looks great. (I need to learn to sew!)

Blessings!

The Scrappy Tree said...

I made carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for Easter too! Yours looked nicer though :) Happy Easter :)